Single Trackers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Suspension"

Go down

"Suspension" Empty "Suspension"

Post by Admin Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:18 pm

I thought this topic (Tips, Tricks & Mech. knowledge) would be beneficial to put on our board. (especially for Gav Laughing )

I see it as a good way to share our knowledge, experience and mechanical advice. We all work on our bikes, pay other people to work on our bikes and find out useful information along the way regarding things about our bikes. Why not share this information!

I'll start.
Now I have finally got my suspension done, I asked Grant from "Bike Tune" a few questions and here are the answers:
In his professional opinion:
- Those neoprene fork protectors are not a good idea - they can potentially store grit inside them which can cause serious damage to your chroming.
- Those seal savers you can buy don't really do any better job than a $10 note
- Those fork bleeding valves you can fit to you front suspension - they should only be depressed when you have no weight on your front wheel and its off the ground. Depressing it while sitting on your bike will cause it to exhaust all the air out of the forks so next time your fork extends it has to suck air in past your rod seals potentially sucking in crap from the outside. I found that piece of info quite interesting! - looks like I've been doing the wrong thing all that time with the WR.
Also Grant said you should bleed your front forks before every ride and at the first stop on each ride - Can't see that happening Surprised
- Lastly even though my bike has only done around 2500km's so far the rear shock piston seals were nearly shot. A very common thing with all rear shocks that Grant is seeing. Across all brands. Manufacturers must be cutting costs. After market ones are much better.

Hards -
I have one of those seal doctor (seal savers ) and I have done the $5 note trick too. It does the same thing yes, but much more easily than trying to stick a flexible piece of plastic up your fork seal, so I disagree, they are better and I have one and its saved me a fork seal change at least once

Nackers -
You have a point Rob, they probably are a lot easier to hold than to try to hold a $10.00 note tightly around the fork tube BUT it still achieves the same thing.
He did say that a lot of guys have said they have broken them off in the fork seal as they are quite thin.
Pros & Cons to both I suppose.

Admin
Admin

https://single-trackers.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum